Microsoft Word has great features which allow you to create your own magazine in just 10 minutes.At the beginning your creations and designs may look poor but don't worry.As the time passes you'll get used to Microsoft Word interface and expose your creativity.
First of all,you must learn more about Microsoft Word if you are new to Microsoft Office software.Because we'll use Microsoft Word to create our magazine covers and in our tutorials mostly.
Please go to How to Use Microsoft Word page to begin learning.
If you'd like to watch our video tutorial,please click here.
Assuming you're familiar with Microsoft Word,we can begin our article tutorial.
Step 1-Magazine Cover Page Layout
- Firstly,we must adjust our page layout.Click "Page Layout" on the top menu.
- Then we need to set up our margins.Click "Margins" on the sub-menu.
- On the very bottom of the sub-menu,click "Custom Margins".
- Now let's just set the "top,bottom,right and left" margins to "0".
Ok,our magazine cover page layout is done.
Step 2-Addind Attractive Texts as the Magazine TitleOur page seems empty.We should add some attractive and good-looking texts as our magazine cover title.A quality magazine needs a quality title.This is the most entertaining part of creating a magazine.
- Click "Insert" on the top menu.
- Then click "Wordart" on the sub-menu.This great feature will present our magazine's title.
- Pick one of the great wordart styles.
- A new text will appear on your page and it says "Enter Your Text Here".Click on it and enter your magazine title.In our video tutorial,we called our title "My Great Magazine".
- When you're done with it,move it to the top-center of your page.
- Now we need some effects for our title.When your title is selected,click "Text Effects" under the "Wordart Styles" sub-menu.
- A new menu will appear and you'll be able to see the effects for your title."Shadow,reflection,glow,bevel,3d-rotation and convert" effects are available.Just click one of them and add a good-looking effect to your title according your wish.
Step 3-Adding Attractive Shapes and Photos to Your Magazine Cover
Now we need some short descriptive texts,interesting shapes and photos to make our cover colourful.A professional magazine must have a great cover.In this case,photos and texts have a big importance.
- Click insert at the top menu.
- Click shapes on the sub-menu and the shapes menu will appear.Pick one that you like most.Circle or circle-like shapes are recommended because it's edges are soft and we'll put a small title in it.
- After you pick your shape,draw it by holding your left mouse button on the page.Then move it under your main magazine title but don't resize it too big and we recommend placing it on left-center of the page.
- Click "Shape Fill" button on the sub-menu and you'll see the colour choices.This will adjust your shapes colour.
- After adjusting your shape's colour,you can add some effects to your shapes under the "Shape Effects" button on the same sub-menu.
- Right click on the shape and click "Add Text".Now you're able to add a text as a sub-title for your magazine cover.This option will make your cover look more professional and good-looking.
- After typing your text you can adjust your text's colour and size or you can add effects to it as well.
- Click "Home" button at the top menu.Then you'll see "Font" options in the "Font" sub-menu.
- Adjust your text's size and font type.The font type is set to "Calibri" but you can change it as well.
- On the same menu,you'll see "Font Colour" and "Font Effects" sub-menu.There you can change your text's colour and you can add effects to it.
Now our magazine cover looks better.We now know we can make great cover designs,also we can make a complete magazine for ourselves.
There is one more thing we should know as a basic rule.Here it is.
Step 4-Adding Photos or Pictures to Your Magazine Cover
No one can think about a magazine cover without photos.Our first magazine cover needs some photos on it.
- Click "Insert" on the top menu.
- Then click "Insert Picture from File" on the sub-menu.
- Choose the photo which you want it to be on your cover.
- If you want to make it your background photo,you must set it behind your texts.Otherwise it will cover all of the page and your text won't be visible anymore.
- In order to move it behind your text,right-click on the photo.Then click "Wrap Text" and then click "Behind Text".
- Now you can see it as a background and your texts are visible again.
- You can resize your photo to cover the complete page as well.We recommend using a simple photo(not complicated,because it confuses readers' eyes and it will look more tiring).If you want to put a more complicated photo,use it in small sizes.
Now we have simple but attractive magazine cover.